20 Things to do These School Holidays
A couple of weeks away from the comfort of the classroom can seem a bit daunting for most parents. Not only can it drain the bank but also our sanity! Luckily there is an abundance of fun things to do over the winter break that suits all budgets.
1. Swimming: The fact that it is winter doesnâ€™t faze kids when it comes to jumping into the water! Luckily the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre caters for all weather conditions. Located at Southportâ€™s Broadwater Parklands the centre boasts six pools (heated to a minimum of 27 degrees Celsius all year round) including a 50 metre, 10 lane competition pool, an impressive dry land dive training facility, a fully equipped fitness centre, multi-function meeting rooms and access to CafĂ© Why not attend a fitness class while youâ€™re there!
2. Drax 4 Kids: Grab your friends and book a day at Draculas. Thereâ€™s games, food, laughs which is sure to entertain everyone.
3. Epic Skate: If you havenâ€™t been to Epic Skate in Tweed Heads, thereâ€™s no better time to go than the school holidays. With a large viewing area youâ€™ll be quite happy to watch the kids skate around or you could event join in for a bit of fitness with a difference!
4. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary: Winter is one of the best times to get outdoors, with the cooler temperatures ideal to walk around without over heating! You can spend all day or just a few hours cruising around Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary watching the shows, grabbing a bite to eat at the cafeâ€™s or enjoying your own picnic on the grass.
5. Ice Skating: Living on the sunshine state doesnâ€™t offer much in the way of natural snowfall, but that doesnâ€™t mean we have to miss out all together! Paradise Resort on the Gold Coast has a special deal at the moment at Planet Chill Iceskating.
6. Hit the Ski Slopes: Speaking of the white stuff, South Bank Parklands in Brisbane has literally transformed into a winter wonderland with Snow 4 Kids. You can build a snowman, toboggan or just play around in the snow. Just remember to pack your woolies!
7. Little Paccas: Thereâ€™s never any shortage of fun with Little Paccas at Pacific Fair in Broadbeach on the Gold Coast. These school holidays thereâ€™s Nickelodeon Holiday Fun Days PLUS thereâ€™s a new playground open for fun!
8. Learn to Skateboard: The City of Gold Coast offers some awesome Winter Holiday Fun including Active & Healthy skateboarding workshops. Learn from some of the best coaches in the business. Workshops are designed for beginners starting out in the world of skateboarding. Bring your own board and helmet, or equipment supplied for 15 participants.
9. Cooking Classes: The Collective Palm Beach on the Gold Coast has opened the kitchen these school holidays offering cooking classes from cupcakes to pies. Or if youâ€™d rather stay at home why not bake your own cupcakes and let the kids decorate to their hearts content? You will just be in charge of the cleaning up!
10. Fishing: Get outdoors and head to Tallebudgera Creek for some fishing fun! If you donâ€™t have a fishing rod, you can pick up a cheap one from Kmart, pack a picnic and enjoy the fresh air.
11. Dreamworld: Tiger cubs, Trolls and Wiggle World – Dreamworld has it all!
12. Little Artlab: HOTA on the Gold Coast is holding its next Little Artlab on Tuesday July 11. Your kids will get a chance to design their own mini dream home filled with all kids of fun stuff.
13. Movies: The best thing about the school holidays are the new movie releases. With The Incredibles 2, Hotel Transylvania 3 and Jurassic World there is something for everyone at Event Cinemas.
14. Family Night Out: Sick of cooking? Treat you family to dinner at Oasis. The revamped complex has so many choices to eat including The Loose Moose and Main Street Burger Bar in one convenient Broadbeach location.
15. Go to the Beach: Just because itâ€™s not summer anymore doesnâ€™t mean the surf has gone. Grab your wetsuit and let the kids get on a board without the summer crowds. Pick your favourite beach and make a day of it.
16. Burleigh Headland: Put your walking shoes on grab your drink bottle and get hiking – kid friendly.
17. Pocket money day: Have the kids been good? Give them $10 each and let them go wild in the arts and craft section at the discount shop or Kmart. Itâ€™s an incentive to behave and will hopefully keep them entertained for a few days.
18. Bike Ride: Grab your bikes and head to your favourite bike trail. If you want to entertain the kids along the way you could do a park-hop along the way.
19. Skate Park: There are so many sate parks in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast. Many of them are suitable for beginners. Why not try a new one? Click here for skate parks on the Gold Coast or here for Brisbane.
20. QPAC: QPAC is ready for the school holidays thanks to Air Play and The Arrival still on for a few days.