Recipe // Vietnamese Meatball Soup
This Vietnamese Meatball Soup is a delicious, fuss-free meal that is both nutritious and healing.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated or crushed
- 3 cups chicken bone broth/ stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon turmeric, ground
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, vein removed and thinly sliced
- 6-8 spring onions, white part sliced
- Vegetables (optional) sliced very small is best so they cook quickly. I generally add whatever I have at the time, often broccoli, carrot, snow peas, shiitake mushrooms, and a handful of kale or baby spinach added right at the end.
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Juice one large lime
- Coriander, to serve
- Chilli flakes, to serve
- 1 heaped tablespoon finely grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 small carrot finely grated
- 500 grams (approx.) chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Good grind black pepper
- One large lime, zest
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil. Add the ginger and garlic and sautÃ© for a minute until the garlic just starts softening.
- Now add the chicken broth, coconut milk, turmeric, fish sauce, coconut sugar, kaffir lime leaves and spring onion and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Whilst that’s heating, make your meatballs by putting the ginger, coriander, grated carrot, chicken mince, coconut flour, sea salt, black pepper, lime zest, into a large bowl. Mix together until well combined and form into golf sized balls.
- When the soup comes to a rolling simmer, add the meatballs and allow to cook for 5 minutes or so until cooked through (the larger the meatballs the longer they will need).
- If you are adding vegetables, carefully remove the meatballs and divide between the serving bowls and add the vegetables to the soup to blanch them for a couple of minutes (take care not to over cook them). Divide the vegetables between the bowls.
- Lastly, add the lime juice to the soup, taste and add more seasoning if needed (salt and black pepper). Divide the soup between the bowls, garnish with the coriander and serve with chilli flakes.
- Start with the meatballs. If you are going to make your own chicken mince, do this first and set aside.
- Chop the ginger and coriander, 5 seconds, speed 8. Add the carrot 10 seconds, speed 8.
- Add theÂ chicken mince, coconut flour, sea salt, black pepper, lime zest, mix 30 seconds, reverse speed 2 (you may need to scrape the sides during the mixing) – make sure it is well combined and form into golf sized balls. Set aside.
- Now start the soup. Mince the ginger and garlic, 5 seconds, speed 8.
- At this point I transfer it to a pot as the blades will break up the meatballs when cooking them. Continue from step 4 in the method above.
Omit and replace with a pinch of chilli flakes.
Omit the spring onions.
Replace the fish sauce with a teaspoon of sea salt.