Acupuncture is an ancient therapy and is one of the oldest healing practices in the world. Acupuncture has become increasingly well respected for fertility and IVF support as there is a great amount of research to show the benefits of acupuncture during IVF as well as for fertility.
If you are considering IVF or will be starting IVF, acupuncture may be your chosen therapies to support you during an IVF cycle.
Research has shown that acupuncture improves blood flow to the uterus (1). An increased and optimal blood supply to the reproductive system may positively affect your IVF cycle by improving hormone and nutrient deliveries to the follicles, which appears to increase responsiveness to IVF drugs (2).
When should treatments start during an IVF cycle?
Treatments are individually tailored however treatments should start a couple of weeks before your IVF cycle or a few months in advance for a longer preparation.
Acupuncture may assist with drug response (2), reduce IVF side effects, assist with stress management (3) and increase the chances of a live birth rate (4).
Who will benefit from Acupuncture for Fertility?
- Any couples including same sex couples or single ladies undergoing any type of fertility treatment
- If you are considering IVF and to give your body the best chance
- If you have already started your IVF cycle
- If you already had an embryo transfer
- Had a negative pregnancy outcome – chemical pregnancy, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy or recurrent failed cycles or embryo transfer
- If you are having a frozen embryo transfer
Holistic Acupuncture is a fertility and pregnancy acupuncture clinic solely dedicated to support couples undergoing IVF and any other assisted fertility treatments, we would love to help you achieve your dream!
- Blood Flow to the uterus – Ming H et al, 2009 Vol 48, Issue 2, Pages 148-151 Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Improved Drug response – Quintero R et al, Fertil Steril, 2004; 81(Supplement 3):S11-12 Fertility and Sterility
- Stress – Grant LE, Cochrane S, AJACM 2014, vol 9 Issue 1, pg 5 Australian Journal of Acupuncture and Chinese medicine
- Improved pregnancy rates and live birth rate – Magarelli, PC, D Cridennda, M Cohen. Fertil Steril. 2009 Dec;92(6):1870-9 Fertility and Sterility