We’re heading into the busiest time of the year, full of get-togethers, family functions and festive dos. But reinventing your look for each event doesn’t need to break the bank. Here are some simple ways to spruce up your wardrobe, on a budget!
Having a little black dress is a non-negotiable in our opinion – there’s a reason it has stood the test of time. Providing the perfect starting point for any occasion, whether it’s a work Christmas party, last-minute shopping or a long lunch, there are infinite ways to dress it up or down. Technically, it doesn’t even need to be little or black – neutral colours like white and beige, and flattering midi lengths can work just as well.
- Bec + Bridge Zinnia dress, $200, www.davidjones.com
- Forever New Kaitlyn dress, $149.99, www.forevernew.com.au
- Willa Charles dress, $109.95, www.theiconic.com.au
Make a statement
Marilyn Monroe has been credited as saying, “Give a girl the right pair of shoes, and she can rule the world” and we tend to agree with her. One versatile yet eye-catching pair of shoes will see you through this holiday season and many more to come. Think animal print, glitter, a bold colour or an out-there silhouette – the hardest part will be choosing just one.
- Golden Goose Superstar sneakers, $590, www.mytheresa.com
- ASOS DESIGN lightning bolt heels, $70, www.asos.com
- Django & Juliette Sadore boots, $199.95, www.styletread.com.au
Never underestimate the power of lipstick to take your look to the next level. A pop of red or a dramatic dark shade is perfect for an evening event, but if you tend to shy away from colour, remember that the ‘your lips but better’ colour works wonders for making you look put-together.
- M.A.C Ruby Woo lipstick, $30, www.adorebeauty.com.au
- Mecca Cosmetics Pout Pop lipstick, $20, www.meccacosmetics.com.au
- Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk lipstick, $49, www.charlottetilbury.com
If there’s one outfit you buy this festive season, let it be a co-ord. They’re just. So. Versatile. Whether you opt for a top and skirt, a shirt and pants or a blazer and shorts, having a go-to co-ord will see you through countless “WTF do I where?!” moments. The best part? You can wear them separately for even more outfit options.
- Dissh Dylan skirt and crop, $149.98, www.dissh.com.au
- Kmart linen blend jacket and shorts, $45, www.kmart.com.au
- Mister Zimi Charlie pants and Amber cami, $248, www.misterzimi.com
It’s taken us time (longer than we care to admit) but we’ve finally learned that the secret to a wow-worthy look is caring for your hair. Whether you know your way around a curling iron or prefer to leave it natural, learning a few hair maintenance hacks will serve you for a lifetime. Head here for our top hair tips.