Time for a quick review of the past month. Take five to check in on how you are practising regular self-care and time out for just you.
If your past month has been anything like mine (in fact, time is passing so quickly, when I reflect on it, perhaps its been a little longer than a month), crazy busy is an understatement. My daily rituals have slipped.
My perfect day includes exercise, meditation, eating well and getting some family time in before a cuppa and a quick read of my book of the month. But life gets hectic and I think I may have been completing about 50 per cent of that these past weeks.
Planning has perhaps fallen away and hitting the pillow without ticking some boxes has become more regular. I remember mum telling me when I was young to make sure I made my bed every morning – in case the day went pear shaped, I could still come home to a well-made bed and know that something went to plan. I guess that is where it all started, and rituals become a habit and something I value.
We all know the age-old saying “failing to plan is planning to fail” so there is no time like the present to set some new standards and get back to or perhaps create some new rituals to set up your day and tick off some of those non-negotiables that you want in your life.
So what CAN you fit in?
- Start at the weekly grocery shop. With winter upon us it’s a great time to plan some hearty winter meals that warm and nourish. Plan your meals before you shop so you can be prepared for the week ahead. Making extra soups and casseroles is a great way to stock up the freezer with last-minute meals rather than stopping to pick up takeaway – plus you will save some dollars! TICK – Eating well!
- Morning rituals. Sometimes they take a big hit in winter. Set the alarm and follow through. If you are not enticed to get out into the cooler morning for a walk or run then download a few exercise classes and routines from YouTube or an app and stay in the comfort of your loungeroom. TICK – Movement and exercise
- Drink water! This is another one that slips off the agenda in the cooler months. Make this part of your non-negotiable self-care routine. We must stay hydrated. Add some lemon and ginger to your water bottle for an immune boost too. TICK – Hydrated (your body will love you for it)
- In-home spa. Get a great in-shower body scrub and invigorate your skin. This will only take a few minutes, and you’ll feel soft and refreshed after your shower. If you have some time on the weekend, Google “homemade scrubs” – there are so many you can make from the contents of the pantry. Follow up with a moisturiser, body lotion or good old coconut oil.
- Finally take 15 minutes out of your day to connect with something YOU love to do. Listen to your favourite music, read a few pages of your book, write in your journal, meditate, sit in your garden, watch the sun set, disconnect from social media and all devices, and reconnect with you!
You’re worth it. Enjoy.