It’s school holidays, and who says the kids get to have all the fun? While we may not be indulging in bar hopping (yet), we can certainly recreate the vibe at home – especially with these tips from bartender Danilo Migliorini.
THE TOP TIPS…
- For good measure: Measuring the ingredients is very important in order to make a perfectly balanced cocktail. A slight change to the recipe can heavily impact the taste of your cocktail so if you do alter it, I recommend testing the change out first.
- Colour is key: A bright garnish is important to finish any cocktail and make it look extra-special in your NYE photos.
- Fresh is best: Make sure you use fresh juices and ingredients, instead of buying the bottled ones. A fresh juice will change the drink’s flavour drastically.
- Chill out: Chilled cocktails are always a hit when soaking up the summer sun, so make sure your ice cubes are big enough so that they don’t melt too fast.
- Presentation is everything: Don’t underestimate simple touches, like a stylish cocktail glass, to bring your creation to life.
NOW, GIVE IT A GO…
The Twisted Tia
You’ll need: 30ml Mount Gay black barrel; 20ml Tia Maria; 10ml Becherovka; 10ml sugar syrup; 2 drops orange bitters.
How to make it: Pour all the ingredients into a tumbler. Stir and serve with a large block of ice.
You’ll need: 60ml red bean and coconut milk; 40ml coffee liqueur; 10ml Octomore 8.4; 1 dash xocolatl mole.
How to make it: Pour all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake it. Strain and serve in a coffee cup. Serve with coconut shortbread on the side.
Rumble in the Jungle
You’ll need: 20ml lime juice; 10ml coconut syrup; 20ml bourbon; 30ml Tia Maria.
How to make it: Pour all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake it. Strain and serve in a tiki style glass for a tropical feeling, perfect for an Aussie summer or winter!