We’ve noticed something lately – our kids act super weird on video calls.
Whether it’s because they’re not used to socialising anymore (honestly, same) or the whole video element just throws them off, we’re not sure.
What we do know, however, is that if one more of our kids’ friends FaceTimes them to say ‘Hi’ and then nothing else for five minutes (only to hang up and call again, and again, and again) we might just lose it.
Say goodbye to awkward silences and hello to free-flowing conversation with these icebreaker questions and video chat activities.
- What is your favourite thing to do?
- What is the last movie you watched?
- If you could be one TV or movie character, who would it be and why?
- What is your favourite book?
- What is your favourite food?
- If you could eat any dessert or sweet treat for breakfast, what would it be?
- What TV shows do you watch?
- What is your favourite app?
- Who is your favourite person to watch on YouTube or Tik Tok?
- What is your silliest dance move?
- Have you ever been to a concert?
- If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?
- Who is your favourite sports team, and who is your favourite player on that team?
- What is your favourite animal?
- Do you have any pets?
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Have you won any trophies or medals?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What is your favourite subject at school?
- Where is your favourite place in the world?
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- What did you go as for Halloween last year?
- Do you prefer lollies or chocolate?
- What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?
- What is the funniest joke you’ve ever heard?
VIDEO CHAT GAMES
Two truths, one lie
Say three statements about you: two that are true, and one that’s a lie. The other person has to guess which one is the lie.
Show & Tell
Do a one minute talk about your favourite item in your bedroom, your pet or a random item from your pantry.
Make up a story, one word at a time
Take turns saying one word at a time, starting with ‘Once upon a time’. See where the story takes you!
No one is allowed to smile for 60 seconds – after 60 seconds, take it in turns telling silly jokes and stories (they can be made up) until somebody laughs.
Photo guessing game
One person takes an obscure photo of something or somewhere in their house – the other person has to guess what the object or location is.