Whether you’re writing for the web, direct marketing, social media or your sales collateral, follow our six key steps to get your copy sizzling. Want higher engagement, interaction and lead generation? It’s all in the way you speak to your market.
The best sales copy has superior:
- Sizzle – it’s all in your headline. Smart headlines intrigue, promote curiosity and deliver a taste of the benefit your customer will receive by reading on. Tempt your audience to read further, or stop them in their relentless Facebook scrolling. If they read no further, at least give them an idea of why you are communicating with that one sizzling headline.
- Specificity – the more specific you can be, the greater your credibility and the more likely your audience is to engage. You need to really know your audience – their needs, their language, their problems. You already know how your brand and offer can meet their needs – now you need to translate it into targeted copy that hits their trigger points. Write as you would speak – you can always go back and clean up grammar or tighten the tone later. And when it comes to your call to action, be as specific as possible. If you want your audience to call, tell them to “call now”. If you want their email address, provide a field for them to do so. Remove all obstacles in their interaction with you, tell them exactly what you want them to do, and why engaging with your brand will benefit them.
- Scan-ability – whether you’re writing for a website, eDM or social media, your audience is likely to be in high-speed scroll mode. Deliver short chunks of easily digestible information, use sub-headings to highlight key messages, use video and images in place of long passages of text, and hyperlink your content strategically – it prioritises key words, boosts SEO and delivers multiple sources of content within one piece of communication. More bang for buck, for both you and your customer.
- Structure – make sure your sequencing of information makes sense. A logical progression is Headline – Subhead – Short introductory copy or bullet points indicating benefits – Video or images – Call to action. You can always add links and further content, but ensure the structure of your core messaging makes logical sense, so your reader can navigate your content quickly and easily.
- Share-ability – add “Forward” links to your eDMs, invite customers to refer or tag friends, add social media share functionality to your web pages and ensure your content is interesting and relevant to your audience. You’ll lift engagement and interaction, and add to your potential customer base (all with the benefit of third party endorsement from your existing customers – which brings us to Step 6!).
- Social proofing – testimonials, accreditations, links to your social media communities all provide valuable endorsement of your brand. Third-party validation is always considered more credible and believable than tooting your own horn. Add a pull quote, the logos of your clients or peak bodies, and direct links to your social channels to boost your social standing at a glance.
Want to sharpen your sales copy even further? Contact the haven team for expert help with copywriting and brand building. Or check out our haven business hub. With industry experts, hot tips, proven strategies and networking opportunities, it’s your FREE resource to accelerate your business success. Register your interest for our next business hub event.