The “family dinner” has become something of a lost art over the years – in many houses, dinner around the TV rather than the dining table is more of a regular occurrence.
But many experts say that regular family dinners can help your kids in more ways than you might think; having a place where they can talk openly with their parents and siblings on a regular basis could help your children alleviate school-related anxiety, resolve friendship issues and even help prevent bullying situations before they get too serious.
So, next time you can wrangle the troops for a family dinner in your household, make sure you’re armed with plenty of talking points to really get the conversation going. We’ve listed the top 25 questions you can ask your family around the table, but you can easily come up with your own ones to spark a good chat. Just keep them open-ended – they shouldn’t be able to be answered with a simple ‘yes’, ‘no’ or ‘okay’ – and really listen to what your children have to say in return.
- Tell me one really exciting thing that happened to you today?
- Tell me one annoying thing that happened to you today?
- What did you find interesting today?
- What is one thing you could have done better today?
- What is one thing you did today that you are proud of?
- What are you most looking forward to this week?
- What are you least looking forward to this week?
- If you could do anything in the world, what would you do this weekend?
- Who is your favourite person in your class this year? Why?
- How is this year at school different from last year?
- What is something you want to learn how to do? Why?
- What is something you can do that you could teach someone else?
- What is one thing you did to help someone else today?
- Who do you think has taught you the most in your life? What are some things they have taught you?
- What is your favourite family tradition?
- What is a weird habit that you have?
- If you could have one dream come true, what would it be?
- Where is the most interesting place you have ever been?
- What is your favourite thing to do by yourself?
- What was the last thing that made you laugh?
- What was the last thing that made you cry?
- If you could pick your own name, what would it be?
- What is your favourite memory so far?
- What is the nicest thing a friend has ever done for you?
- Who is your best friend and why?