We’ve never spent so much time at home, so naturally we’re on the lookout for ways to spruce them up. Thankfully, Dulux’s 2021 Colour Forecast has just been revealed – and we’re helping you get the look.
According to Dulux Colour and Communications Manager Andrea Luceana-Orr, the design trends for 2021 will reflect our desire for reassurance and strength. Expect nurturing palettes drawn from nature and furniture and decor that ooze comfort.
“This global crisis has changed our relationship with our homes – not just on a practical level, but on an emotional level too,” says Andrea. “This year’s soft, earthy neutrals, muted greens and gentle mauve-greys provide a reassuring connection with nature, whilst richer and brighter hues, such as coral and stormy blue awaken our senses and allow for moments of optimism.”
The forecast comprises three soft, soothing palettes: ‘Retreat,’ with its warm whites, brown and burgundy tones and dusty and deep blues; ‘Nourish,’ which boasts gentle neutrals and touches of tan, soft olive and muted ochre; and ‘Reset,’ featuring rich blue and coral, warm rust and 70s pink and terracotta.
“Taking inspiration from the 2021 palettes is a great place to start when choosing colour for your home,” says Andrea. “You’ll also need to consider existing colours in your scheme, such as sofa upholstery, carpet tones and joinery finishes, to ensure the colours you love will sit comfortably together.
“Once you start on your colour journey and experience the positive emotional connections, you’ll never want to stop!”
- Curious Grace Troll vase, $95, www.curiousgrace.com.au
- Life Interiors Etta side table, $349.95, www.lifeinteriors.com.au
- Miss Amara Belize blue diamond rug, $273, www.missamara.com.au
- Ilmari Velvet armchair, $364, www.templeandwebster.com.au
- LoungeLovers Tara rattan sideboard, $1299, www.loungelovers.com.au
- Pillow Talk Monash throw, $69.95, www.pillowtalk.com.au
- Castlery Joshua chair, $189, www.castlery.com.au
- Kenz Designs velvet orange pouffe, $209.52, www.kenzdesigns.com.au
- Karlsson lush wall clock, $97, www.royaldesign.com
Lifestyle shots styled by Julia Green and photographed by Armelle Habib. Flat lays styled by Bree Leech and photographed by Mike Baker.