Forget the Easter Bunny – the school holidays will be all about the magic of movies as the Gold Coast Film Festival rolls out its greatest ever line-up of family-friendly events.
The 12-day Gold Coast Film Festival will, for the first time, feature something for children every day including acting, filmmaking and photography workshops, a dedicated schools program and free outdoor movies across the city. The program features more than 100 films, panels, parties and events, including unique pop-up outdoor cinemas on the beach, in the Hinterland, in a laneway and even floating on a boat.
Gold Coast Film Festival director Lucy Fisher says her team relished the chance to inspire a passion for filmmaking and screen culture in the next generation of film buffs.
“With this year’s Gold Coast Film Festival falling in the Easter school holidays, we have been gifted a wonderful opportunity to devise a program that lights up the eyes of youngsters,” Lucy says. “Filmmaking has never been a more exciting process and we want to give children an insight into what it takes to make magic both in front of and behind the camera. From photography, acting and filmmaking workshops and in-cinema experiences, there is something for everyone in this year’s program.”
Screen Queensland CEO Tracey Vieira says we are experiencing one of the most prolific times in Queensland screen history and there has never been a more exciting time for young local creatives and budding filmmakers.
“The Gold Coast Film Festival’s inclusion of family-friendly activities, that aim to inspire young children, is a fantastic way to inspire the next generation of filmmakers who can immerse themselves in the magic of film,” Tracey says.
- Red Dog (free): April 7, 9am
- Headshots with Aaron Chapman (free): April 13, 9am-12noon (5-10 years), 1-4pm (11-16 years)
- Little Art Lab ($10) : April 10, 10-11am and 1-2pm (under 5s)
- Blind Cinema (adults $17): April 12, 10.30am and April 13, 10.30am
- Blind Cinema – Kids Workshops ($10): April 11, 10am-12.30pm and April 12, 3-5.30pm
- Kids Workshop: Acting For Film ($10) : April 8, 10am-12noon
- Kids Workshop: Learn to Shoot – Conversations ($10): April 9, 10am-12noon
- Kids Workshop: Learn to Shoot – Film Scenes ($10) : April 10, 10am-12noon