As the year draws to a close, it’s that annual time for reflection. Take the time to analyse your life and ask yourself the following questions in preparation for a bright and shiny 2019.
Life throws interesting curve balls at us, with careers, moving house, leaving relationships, changing countries or simply making a sea change. Some of these changes can be planned and others, well they just land in our lap and we go with the flow. How we handle these changes emotionally can be what makes it an easy transition or a difficult one. This will be the difference between it being a negative or positive experience.
Most of us will have known someone who has gone through a redundancy and they have thought it was the worst thing to happen. After a small amount of time it works out to be a blessing and they wished it happened earlier. When one door appears to shut, another one flies open. This is true for all aspects of our life – it’s all about our mental attitude.
With a New Year around the corner, it can also be time for making conscious choices to change various things in life. We can make plans, list out the benefits, look at ways to take new action and take positive steps to bring in the change in an organised way.
Helpful questions to make conscious changes:
- What will this move bring for us?
- What will our support system be?
- Can we live without all things familiar?
- What do we want from this change?
- What could some obstacles be?
- What is our timeframe?
- What are we looking forward to most?
- What are the benefits to all of this?
- How will it improve our life?
- What would happen if we didn’t ……?
All questions are intended to allow us to think differently and outside the box. If we find negatives, it’s OK. Turn them around. How can we make the changes we want become our reality? There are many reasons we want to make change in life, from a change of scenery, yearning for a new chapter, adventure, starting anew, meeting new people, following a lover or new opportunities as a family. Whatever they are, it’s our business, for us to be comfortable with, not having to explain or justify to others. We make choices to better our lives.
Do we listen to our hearts or our heads? Different circumstances call for using either one as it is about balance, which can be challenging. There will be times when we put off decisions until the last moment and we just have to make a call, provided we’ve done the list of benefits, even if unconsciously, we will make the right decision in the moment. Whether it’s our head or our heart, make a move. Because, if we stop moving, we will get run over.
Our future, of course, is difficult to predict. However, making the right ‘feeling’ choices now will fully support our future. Today we chose our life and we strive for our dreams daily. When we support our foundational eight pillars of life (relationships with family/friends, career, financial security, personal growth, health and fitness, relationships with ourself/spouse, fun and recreation, and our physical environment/home), balance is created. When our life is balanced, everything flows smoother and more energetically.
We know change will have challenges, there will absolutely be discomfort, hardships, challenges, lessons and bumps, it’s all part of living our life how WE WANT and on OUR TERMS. Let’s call it driving our own bus of life. We will experience negative happenings on our path, so why not take the path which will make us the happiest as we move through life?
Tips on life
- Let go of perfectionism. Whatever the choice, it can be the only thing which is meant to happen right now. Being in action will get us closer and closer to where we want to go.
- It’s OK to make mistakes as long as we learn the lessons, make adjustments and do things differently, this will move us closer to our goals and dreams.
- Trust the process, be kind to ourselves and love ourselves.
- Planning wards off stress. A calm clear space creates better results.
- Use mantras/affirmations. For example, I am thankful. I am aligned with where I am, what I do, who I am and my purpose. I love me. I am focused and determined.
- Work with a coach for accountability, processes and clearing blockages.
- Do something every day that will take you one step closer. Small steps are the best steps.
- Have fun!
Merry Christmas and all the best for 2019. Remember, you can do anything your heart desires – find the way and go for it.
“That last page turned is a perfect excuse to write a whole new book.” – Toni Sorenson