If you’re trying to split from sugar and your gut won’t tolerate gluten, this new release cookbook from Carolyn Hartz is your sweet-tooth saviour! Sugar Free Baking includes 60 sugar-free, gluten-free recipes showcasing delish alternatives to traditional favourites such as cakes, desserts and even energy balls to get the party started.
Carolyn Hartz, founder of SweetLife, says, “Not only are my recipes free of white sugar which we all know as everyday sugar, but each recipe has absolutely no hidden sugars like honey, agave or rice malt syrup either. This means you truly can have your cake and eat it too.”
Carolyn shared her recipe for Chocolate, Coconut and Raspberry Gateaux with us. Once you’ve stopped drooling, start cooking! And check out haven’s full review of Sugar Free Baking in our October issue, out now.
Sugar Free Baking ($29.95) from www.sweetlife.com.au.
Chocolate, Coconut and Raspberry Gateaux
Serves 8 – 10
Butter or oil to grease
250g raw almonds, ground
80g shredded coconut
4 X-large eggs
100g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
Pinch of salt
20g cacao or good quality cocoa powder
150g coconut oil, melted
100g fresh or frozen raspberries
DAIRY FREE GANACHE
3 ripe avocados
100g coconut oil, melted
60g cacao or good quality cocoa powder
75g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Dark Bitter Chocolate (recipe on website) or good quality sugar free dark chocolate, shaved to decorate .
- Preheat oven to 140˚C/120˚C fan-forced. Brush 4 x 17cm spring form cake pans with butter to grease. Line with baking paper.
- Combine the ground almonds and coconut in a large bowl, then set aside.
- Place the eggs, xylitol and salt in a clean bowl and, using an electric beater on high speed, whisk until pale. Add the cacao and beat on slow speed until combined. Gradually add the coconut oil and beat on medium speed.
- Add the almond and coconut mixture and fold into the egg mix to combine.
- Pour a quarter of the cake mixture into each cake pan. Then place a quarter of your raspberries (25g) into each pan and push down into the cake mixture. If you only have 1 or 2 cake pans, bake 1 or 2 cakes at a time until you have 4 layers.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan then turn onto wire racks to finish cooling.
DAIRY FREE GANACHE
Process all ingredients until smooth and shiny.
Use a quarter of the ganache and spread over the first cake layer, top with 50g raspberries. Add the second cake layer, use a quarter of the ganache and spread over the second cake layer, top with 50g raspberries, repeat for the 3rd layer. Top with the 4th layer, cover with remaining ganache and decorate with the remaining 100g raspberries. Finish with shaved/grated chocolate and serve.
TIP: If you cannot find sugar free chocolate and your lifestyle allows you to have a little sugar, you can use a good quality 70% dark chocolate.