I absolutely love parties, entertaining and a bit of DIY. There are so many fun party options but sometimes they can get a bit expensive.
I have created a super budget friendly party backdrop using coloured plastic table cloths! It is really easy to do and very cost effective. Backdrops really set the scene for a party and create a spot for people to take photos.
They can be a nice way to present your food or cake table too! I bought my table cloths from Spotlight but could also be made with material or lace for a softer look which would look great for boho style parties, corporate events or even weddings too!
What you will need
- 3-4 plastic tablecloths. These can be bought from Spotlight, the local discount store or a party shop. I recommend choosing a variety of colours, to add depth and character to your backdrop.
- 3-4 tablecloths will be enough for two rows but it would look even more effective with three so feel free to add more than what I have created here.
- Some twine – any twine or string will do.
- Balloons to match the colours of the tassels.
- Tape – make sure you get one that is safe for walls or masking tape.
How to create
- Cut the tablecloth in lengths that are the same length as the table cloth width and then about 4-5cm across (I keep my tablecloth folded so I can cut two at once). Do this to all the tablecloths so you have lots of strips ready to go.
- Cut your twine in two lengths and stick to the wall like a small letter w (kind of a wave shape). You could also go straight across but I just chose to do mine this way.
- Loop each tassel over and back through on itself so it is attached to the twine. Repeat all the way across, changing the colours out after about 5 or 6 tassels (this is not compulsory – create whatever pattern of colours you like!)
- Add the second layer the same as above (and a third if you like). TIP: you can make these without sticking to the wall. I made my second layer by tying the twine to a clothes horse and then transferred to the wall when I was finished. It made it easy to keep stable.
- Add balloons across the top and even add streamers if you like.
And then voila! You have a super instagrammable spot to take party photos! It is bright and fun and encourages everyone to group together for a pic!
If you are careful, you can take it down and store in a box to use for your next party or event!