If you’re anything like the people Gavin Sequeira works with, you’ve probably gone back and forth about whether to free yourself from your current corporate job and start your own business, be your own boss and create a work environment that fits your lifestyle.
But if you threw away that idea as a “pipe dream” – or as something only beautiful, glowing people on Instagram have the ability to do – it might be time to revisit that old fantasy.
“If you are still stuck to your job and are looking to achieve more out of life than you are right now, then you need to change,” says Gavin. “You need to work out if what you are doing right now will get you to where you want to go in the future. If the answer is no, then ask yourself this question: ‘Are you prepared to move away from your current job?’”
Now, we’re not saying to quit tomorrow. That would be risky, and really terrible advice. Rather, with careful planning and guidance, you can begin to prepare to transition yourself out of your current situation and move into one that will allow you to grow, develop and explore your own potential to live a more fulfilled life.
But first, you need to make sure that this transition isn’t just something you want, but something you need. The below checklist lists 10 items that all indicate it’s time to move on from your current 9-to-5. Rate each of them from 1 to 5, with 1 being unlikely and 5 being most likely, then add up your scores at the end to determine which category you fall under.
Gavin’s Essential Checkpoints That Scream ‘I’VE GOT TO BREAK FREE!’
- You are plain and simply bored with your job. You can do it in your sleep. You’ve lost the passion to go into work, you’re no longer excited to be working for your company and find yourself day dreaming in meetings, yearning to be elsewhere, doing something exciting again!
- You just don’t see eye to eye with your boss, manager, supervisor, team leader. They constantly hinder your progress, put up roadblocks to you moving forward and just a general pain to work with.
- The workplace is quite toxic, you don’t fit in, you don’t agree with the style and management, you feel that you are compromising some of your values by staying on and you just don’t want to be a part of that environment any longer.
- Time is ticking by, you’re not getting any younger, the economy is becoming less predictable and you’d rather not waste anymore precious time working for someone else, when you have all the skill, knowledge and passion to go out on your own and make it happen!
- The company is heading in a new direction that you don’t agree with. There’s corporate restructuring going on and you don’t identify with the new vision and direction. You just don’t fit in this new picture going forward, so its finally time to hit the road!
- You’ve got this burning ambition deep inside of you to create something out of your passion and find a new path that is fulfilling and meaningful to you and to make this happen you need to get out of your current situation.
- You’re sick and tired of following the herd and you realise that if you continue on as you have been, soon you’ll be facing either retirement or retrenchment and the prospects of this scares you because you are just not ready yet to give in the towel!
- You’ve been waiting for the right time to take up that opportunity, or start that business you’ve been dreaming of, or to go into partnership with that friend you’ve talked about for years…and finally you’re ready!
- You’ve been following technological advancements that make it easier than ever to work from home, set up your own business, form virtual teams, buy and sell online, join and even create communities that YOU want to be a part of…and you figure why aren’t you doing it?
- You feel left behind as you hear of that friend that started up their online business and working from home, or the other family member running a dance studio because they’re following their dream. You wonder what life could be like if you went out and made it happen.
Now, let’s see how you did…
LOW RISK – If you scored a total of 15 or less, Gavin says you may want to carefully consider your situation before you make any rash decisions. You can consider yourself low-risk in that you still have time to work out what it is you want to achieve in life. So, no need to jump ship just yet – it’s not worth the risk!
MEDIUM – If you scored between 15 and 35 then you are of a medium risk, which means you’re neither here nor there, but ready to make that transition when the ‘timing is right’ – you’ve been thinking about it for some time, but just haven’t found the urge to change just yet. You are in a comfort zone busting to get out, but just need that nudge
HIGH RISK – If you scored 36 and above, its highly likely that every day is sucking the life out of you and you really need to get out of your current work environment as soon as you can. If you don’t choose to leave on your own, the situation could get ugly and you risk being asked to leave because you’re just not in the right place where you belong. Time to make that leap of faith – you’ve waited far too long and you’re ready!
“I know its simplistic, but sometimes getting real simple to make these decisions is what life is all about,” says Gavin. “Until you can do this on a consistent basis, you will be forever stuck in a rut wondering what if?”
Pick up a copy of Gavin’s book ‘Break Free From Corporate – Be Your Own Boss’ and start working through his 10 success strategies that he recommends everyone does – no matter what you scored on the checklist, you’ll give yourself the best chance to succeed in your future endeavours. Or, you can get a free copy of his exclusive guide, ‘8 Bulletproof Ways to Escape your 9-5 Without Risking Your Income in 90 Days’, right here.
To hear more from Gavin, head to www.breakfreefromcorporate.com
Free Expert Advice Service Launches for Entrepreneurs in the Northern Rivers
A new, Australian Government-backed Entrepreneurship Facilitator Service is available for anyone looking to kick start their business goals, or grow their existing business. A result of the 2018-2019 Budget allocation for funding for Entrepreneurship Facilitators in 20 new locations, this program will provide information and advice about entrepreneurship – everything from to starting to running a business to growing it.
The advice from new facilitators will be specifically aimed at encouraging entrepreneurship and self-employment in the 45+ age group, however anyone wanting to start their own business will be able to access Entrepreneurship Facilitator Services.
The program will include mentoring, linking and referring to grant information and promoting entrepreneurship possibilities for the audience. The advice service will be available to people in Bangalow, Brunswick Heads, Byron Bay, Kingscliff, Lennox Head, Mullumbimby, Murwillumbah, Pottsville, and Tweed Heads.
The Entrepreneurship Facilitator Service will…
- Promote and encourage entrepreneurship among all individuals, by providing information and advice about entrepreneurship and starting and running a business. The Facilitator will also engage with local stakeholders to develop the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Provide tailored mentoring and assistance to individuals. This includes facilitating interactive engagements to provide information and advice (such as workshops and networking events) and providing mentoring assistance and advice
- Link and refer individuals to appropriate services that will help them start and run their own business.
“I’m excited about the type of businesses we will uncover and to be offering support and advice that could really ignite these businesses into future growth and success,” says facilitator Phil Daly from PINNACLE Business Solutions, who has recently been appointed to look after the Richmond-Tweed Heads area. “We will have an office in a co-workspace in Byron Bay, however, we will be offering phone and mentoring support. Our goal is to establish a website and a series of information events as part of how we market the service.”
Phil is currently looking for businesses that are looking to launch, or grow, as are many of the other facilitators in the program.
If you would like to find out more about how you could access this service or, to speak to the Entrepreneurship Facilitator for this area. Call Phil Daly NOW on: 0412 667 864