With 3 months to go until Christmas the pace starts to pick up. Already the Christmas paper is available in the shops. With this in mind it may lead to us reflecting on the year we have had.
“Procrastination is attitude’s natural assassin. There is nothing so fatiguing as an uncompleted task.” – William James
If we were to assess our year so far how would we rate it? Let’s use the scale of 1 being not very good and 10 being fantastic. Now, sit with that score for a moment. Take a deep breath and feel where it sits inside us. Does it make us feel happy, glad, proud, upbeat, successful, or sad, bad, unfulfilled, a little disappointed, angry or frustrated? Whatever it is – it is. We can now take the next step in asking ourselves what we can do to take it to the next number up.
If we rated our year as a 7 what can we do to make it an 8. Similarly, if we rated our year to date at a 3, what will it take to make it a 4?
How about taking some action? Right now!
A definition of action is “an act that one consciously wills and that may be characterized by physical or mental activity.”
Without action we can often find ourselves stuck in ‘Procrastination’. This will give us a feeling we might get from banging our head against a brick wall or going around and around in a circle. We may also find the opposite and be very comfortable and settled in our comfort zone. We do want to get out, however it’s a little scary and daunting to take action with the first step. We may also be ready to take the first step, spring into action however don’t know which direction to go.
Bringing focused action into our life fully supports taking our satisfaction levels up another notch. This will often enable us to feel better about our self on the inside. With this feeling building it’s creating a higher vibration and giving us increased energy. We instantly become nicer and more fun to be around. We create a foundation for getting clarity and direction. We are will also be a better role model to those around us, most importantly our children.
Ways to get into action…
- Decide what it is we want – getting a clear picture is so important,
- Consider what thinking needs to change; this will support new behaviours, creating new results,
- Focus on why we want to have this,
- Let go of the past as it can hold us back,
- Watch inspiring and helpful tools/tips/talks/movies and clips (quick and easy),
- Read supportive books, authors to watch for; Keith Blanchard, Brian Tracy, Steven Covey, Gregg Braden, Dr Wayne Dyer, Debbie Ford and many more,
- Brainstorm possible strategies, ideas, dreams; getting it on paper fully supports change,
- Prioritize, list out what is most important and number them off,
- Write down an action plan. Break it down into small bites – this makes it much more achievable,
- Get some monkeys (tasks) off our back, knock some easy ones off, and celebrate with a have a cup of herb tea or take a moment to our self and simply be,
- Go for a walk – the beach, bush, park or even around the block – movement creates flow,
- Work with a coach to overcome any obstacles stopping us from getting to the next benchmark or milestone,
- Work with a coach on improving our Self-Worth, without it we can’t move up,
- Work with a coach to get some clarity and direction in our life, (it’s challenging doing this alone),
Decide in this moment to take some form of ACTION.
“The best way to get something done is to begin.” – unknown