These Hazelnut Chai Spice Cookies are a very delicious gluten free, dairy free, grain free, egg free, fructose free and guilt free treat. They only take minutes to make and are the perfect after school snack or weekend treat for the kids.
What’s so nourishing about them?
Well firstly hazelnuts are a rich source of protein, essential fats and fibre. They also contain antioxidants and many minerals. The coconut oil is so very nourishing. You can find out more about its amazing health benefits here. The cinnamon stabilises blood sugar levels for a sustained release of energy. The ginger and cardamon assists digestion.
Makes 10-12 cookies
- 150 grams (1¼ firmly packed cups) hazelnut meal
- 55 grams (¼ cups) of virgin coconut oil, (melted if solid)
- 50-85 grams (¼ cup approx) of brown rice syrup or raw honey (taste the batter and alter the sweetness to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamon
- ½ teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon of tea or water
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor, combine all of the ingredients above until well combined (Thermomix 5-10 seconds, speed 5).
- Roll tablespoons of the mix in your hands and place them onto a tray lined with baking paper.
- Flatten with the back of the fork. Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon on top (optional).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until starting to brown on top.
Use the brown rice syrup not honey.
Choc Chip Chai
Add cacao nibs or a piece of dark chocolate.
No hazelnut meal?
You can use almond meal instead!
Coconut oil free
Replace with macadamia nut oil.
In an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
The best thing about these cookies is that if you do manage to stop at one or two and wait a while, you will find yourself satisfyingly full. That is of course, if you do manage to stop at all.