This grain-, gluten- and dairy-free cake is so quick and easy to make and the result is a lovely, moist loaf that is perfect for school lunches. I think the flavours of lemon and coconut is a match made in heaven. The principal medium chain fatty acids in coconut are capric and lauric acid. Both are very nourishing, immune boosting, anti-inflammatory and healing to your digestive system. The eggs make this a protein-rich snack and the zest is fabulous for your immune system.
- 6 free-range or organic eggs
- 85g (¼ cup) sweetener (rice malt syrup, maple syrup, honey)
- Juice and zest one large lemon (approx. ½ cup juice)
- 30g (¼ cup) coconut flour
- 160g (2 cups) desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Grease and line a 25x15cm loaf tin. In a food processor or by hand, whisk the eggs, sweetener, lemon/lime and orange juice and zest together to combine.
Add the coconut flour, desiccated coconut and bicarbonate of soda and mix until well combined. Pour into a loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.