The trick with this soup is to mix it with different flavour hits to create new tastes every day. You can change the grated vegies and greens you use in this base recipe according to seasonal availability. Create your own army of jar soups in advance and stash them in the fridge for up to 1 week. You’ll need a mason jar, or other heatproof jar with a lid, that holds approximately 440 ml (151/2 fl oz).
- 1 small zucchini (courgette), spiralised or cut into thin strips using a peeler
- 1/2 large carrot, spiralised or grated
- 1/2 red capsicum (pepper), cut into thin strips
- 1 spring onion (scallion), sliced
- 6 snow peas (mangetout), roughly chopped
- 45 g (11/2 oz/1 cup) baby English spinach leaves
- 1 lemon or lime wedge
- Boiling filtered water, to fill
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- coriander (cilantro) leaves (optional)
- 1 heaped tablespoon of your chosen flavour hit
Put all the base ingredients in the mason jar and take it to work with you. When lunchtime rolls around, unscrew the lid and add boiling filtered water until three-quarters full. Add the tamari and apple cider vinegar, leave to heat through gently and soften the vegetables for 10 minutes, then stir in flavour hit, top with coriander leaves (if using), and eat.
Recipes and images from Fast Your Way To Wellness by Lee Holmes
(Murdoch Books, $29.99)