With everyone so busy at this time of the year I wanted to remind you of one of my favourite quotes by Carl Bryan.
“Taking good care of yourself means that your family get the best of you rather than what’s left of you.”
With this mantra in mind here are some tips to have you sail through the silly season plus a delicious mocktail recipe to get you in the spirit!
- Start your day with 5 minutes of meditation. Meditation has been proven to reduce stress and improve focus. There are plenty of apps around with guided meditations. Choose one that you can relate to and commit to doing it daily!
- Drink enough water. Fill your drink bottle up at the start of the day. Add in some lemon slices or look out for some lovely herbal tea bags you can buy to infuse into your water.
- What random act of kindness can you do today? Make an effort and surprise someone. Each year I track down my local trolley man at the local supermarket and gift him something.
- Laugh. We lose the fun a bit when we adult. Let’s try not to take ourselves too seriously.
- Call someonejust because. Call (don’t text) an old friend and see how it makes you feel. I’m sure you will make their day a little brighter too.
- Get out in nature and go for a walk. We are so lucky to live near the beach and the hinterland. You can take your pick!
- Start journaling. It kind of sounds counterintuitive when you’re busy, to spend more time writing things down. But journaling can help you reflect and prioritise your thoughts. At the end of each day write down things about your day, your concerns, your ideas and watch your productivity improve.
- Get organised with meal prep. You will feel like a queen when you land in your front door knowing exactly what’s happening for dinner.
- Write lists. And take great pleasure in ticking off your accomplishments as you go.
- Impress friends or family that drop in unexpectedly for Christmas drinks. Keep a few staples in the pantry and whip them out when required. Try this Mocktail recipe that is sure to impress.
Flamingo Sunset Mocktail
This recipe was inspired by the colour of this coconut water. H2 Coco have introduced a pale pink coconut water that is naturally coloured from the Nam Hom coconuts it is derived from. It is naturally a little sweeter than traditional coconut water.
H2 Coco coconut water
Mint (to garnish)
Ice (as required)
Half fill the required number of glasses with ice and chilled coconut water.
Top with soda water.
Add in a couple each of cherries and raspberries. (Peach or pineapple slices would also be nice).
Garnish with mint.
Bask in your amazingness as you sip and await the impending compliments!
You could jazz it up a bit by adding in 25ml of Vodka or Gin. Or even omit the ice and soda and substitute with Prosecco!