The weather’s perfect, you’re knee-deep in holidaying family member and (for once) you’ve got time on your side. Snap and save your festive season holiday memories like a pro with these expert photography tips.
1. Whether you’re shooting on your smartphone or your camera, keep your elbows close to your body and your hands around chest height. This will keep the camera nice and still and prevent blurry images.
2. Focus, focus. Play around with focusing your camera or phone before you head out so that you get the hang of it. Whether it’s done by tapping the screen or half-pressing your shutter button, knowing what to do ahead of time will ensure you don’t miss that special moment.
3. If you’re using a camera, always keep a second SD card and a spare battery handy. If you’re using your phone as a camera, invest in a portable charger.
4. Work with the light. You’ll want it behind you, shining onto your subject, for the best result. Experiment with flash, even if it’s during the day.
5. Holidaying away? If the equipment you’re shooting with has a WiFi connection (like a phone or a smart camera) try uploading your photos to a shared folder at the end of each day. That way, friends and family at home can receive up-to-date snaps from your time away, and your photos will be safely stored for when you return.
6. Alternatively, consider creating a digital journal on social media – a Facebook page/group or Instagram account is a great way to help document your travels, and you can choose who sees what you upload. Your captions will remind you where, when and why you took each snap. It’ll be just like a photo album – but digital. And the Facebook ‘memories’ function will have you remembering your best travel adventures long after you’ve packed away the passports or cleaned the outback dust from your car and caravan.