The countdown is definitely ON to the jolly fat man’s arrival next week. Get your fix of Ho, Ho, Ho and New Year’s spirit with our top picks to celebrate a Cool Yule with your fam and friends.
- Get your merry on and sing up a storm! In Brisbane, head to QPAC for the Spirit of Christmas concert (www.qpac.com.au) this weekend at 2pm and 7pm.
On the Coast? Project your best singing voice across the water at Carols on the Broadwater (Southport Yacht Club – www.southportyachtclub.com.au) tomorrow from 4pm. Or add a little sand to your Santa spirit at Carols on the Beach in Surfers Paradise (www.surfersparadise.com) this Sunday from 6.30pm. Southport Sharks’ Family Night kicks off from 5pm Sunday (www.southportsharks.com.au).
- Pack up the pressies, turn off the TV, turn on your out-of-office and make merry with the family as you celebrate a crafty Christmas. Get the kids in the kitchen to make some Reindeer Bark, just perfect for Santa’s trusty crew (Google recipes or make up your own – the fun is in the mixing!). Or imagine a white Christmas with haven’s resident foodie and naturopath Georgia Harding’s Healthy White Chocolate Truffles.
- Heading out? A picnic at the beach at Coolangatta makes a great break from the summer heat – and a last play in the park or splash in the waves is just the thing to tire out little Santa-Watchers, ready for bed.
- Bust out new Christmas surfboards for an early morning paddle. Novice surfers and paddleboarders can get wet at Palm Beach Parklands while littlies scoot and ride their new wheels along the boardwalk. Perfect for working up a festive appetite.
- Work off that Christmas pud’ with a walk around your neighbourhood to admire the Christmas lights. Check out the best of the best here: Brisbane or Gold Coast.
- Pack your wallets, wear some comfy shoes, set the alarm and hit the sales.
- Can’t face another shop and feel like you’re melting in the heat? Head to the movies! Nothing says Boxing Day like a new release flick and a choc-top! Big Hero 6 releases today. Check out session times and details at www.eventcinemas.com.au.
- Head to Justins Park, Burleigh Heads for the free Movies in the Park. Mr Peabody & Sherman screens from 7pm tonight – BYO blanket, pillows and picnic for a chilled out night under the stars.
NEW YEAR’S EVE
- NYE is all about fireworks, fun and festivities! Grab your glo-sticks and head to the Surfers Paradise Foreshore for fireworks on the Goldie (8pm and 12am), or make a bee-line for South Bank in Brissie to see the city light it up.
NEW YEAR’S DAY
- Relaaax. Welcome in 2015 in laid-back style. Hit the beach for some salt-water therapy or take a chilled-out drive to the hinterland. Mt Tamborine offers gorgeous coastal views – and the drive there is the perfect duration for a kiddie nap to recover from last night’s celebrations!
For a full calendar of holiday fun, check out the December/January issue of haven.