When it comes to creating a successful business many people forget the magic ingredient… understanding your target audience! Every brand, and product within a brand, has a target audience – you just need to take some time to identify it. Remember that everything you do in terms of marketing, design, layout, colour, promotions and content should be geared up for potential clients, so with that in mind, here is a guide to understanding your target audience.
What makes a target audience?
A target audience is the sector of internet users who will buy your product, be interested in your brand, engage with you and be open to hearing your message. Imagine you are a fitness coach in Melbourne. Your target audience may be local gyms, sportswear shops and athletes in that area. Your target audience will not be computer programmers in Russia. There are a number of factors that make up your target audience including:
- Age – Usually this is a bracket (for example, 18-30) which will represent the majority of your target audience. This can never be an exact science unless of course your product is age-specific, such as “18-30 holidays”!
- Gender – Often your product will appeal to both genders but some products will be irresistible for men or women. If you are selling lipsticks then it is likely your target gender is female whilst a brand selling men’s running shoes will be male. Products such as PCs, tablets and phones usually have a 50/50 split.
- Profession – Your brand may appeal to a niche profession, as with the fitness coach example above, it could be sporting individuals.
- Industry – Does your target audience fall within a certain industry? Take Apple iPhone owners, for example, who come from every industry imaginable, whilst Apple Macs tend to be used in the design industry.
- Family Status – Does your product appeal to singles, couples or families? Your marketing efforts for male singles will be very different from the ones you use to target families.
- Income – It can be difficult to work this one out but you can get a good idea from the profession, industry and age brackets. Also, factor in the cost of your product because if you are promoting high-cost beachside properties, for example, then your target audience will need to have a higher income.
- Location – If your product can be ordered online then you can market it worldwide, although it still helps to know the location of your target customer. In many cases it could be necessary to add another language option to your website or at least tailor messages to that geographical location.
- Hobbies/Interests – Knowing the hobbies and interests of your target audience will help you to reach them, promote to them and ultimately sell to them.
3 Ways To Find Your Target Audience
- Analyse your last 25 clients based on the above factors, such as age, gender and profession. See some similarities?
- Conduct an email survey amongst members of your database, you could offer a small prize or discount in return for completing it.
- Look at your social media pages and the social pages of your competitors and see who loves them!
Make An Avatar
Once you have discovered your target audience a great tip is to turn those similarities into an avatar with real human qualities which you can print off and use to remind yourself of your marketing goals.
Profession: Web Developer
Family Status: Single
Income: 150K+ per annum
Hobbies: Crossfit, Sci-fi Movies, Travelling
When you are writing content or designing a competition for your site, use this to remind you that you need to focus on the people who will actually buy your product.
3 Things To Remember
- Your target audience may not be the one you dreamed of but don’t fight it because it is still your target audience!
- Your target audience may change over time so re-evaluate every six months based on product sales or client acquisitions.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your clients about themselves. This shows good customer service and will help you to build a clear picture of who you appeal to.
We hope you feel inspired to go out and discover your target audience! If families on the Gold Coast south to Byron Bay & Brisbane are your market – we have some great print – digital – social options to assist you with your marketing.
Email us // email@example.com