Thinking of venturing out to your first health retreat? How exciting and often overwhelming! There are so many – the options are endless. But just because your bestie sends you a link or there is a half-price special in a magazine, don’t think all health retreats will rejuvenate and energise you. It’s a very personal experience. After working in a few of the country’s leading retreats and attending many here and overseas, here are five important questions to consider before booking that health retreat.
1. What do I want to come away with? Knowledge, peace, inspiration, less body fat, feel rested, gain clarity, set boundaries, direction? These are all very different goals. What do you need right now? Mental rest, clarity, reflection? Is it physical education, eating, cooking, movement? Maybe emotional space, peace and love?
2. How much time and money can you afford to invest? When you invest in yourself, it is never wasted. But for most of us, money and time is a limited commodity. Would you prefer a simpler retreat in a more amazing location, or stay close to home and have the best therapists and abundance of treatments?
3. Is the natural environment important to your healing experience? Do you feel awe and power in the mountains? Do you want the negative ions of the ocean and the freeing feeling of the beach? The quiet simplicity of the country? The warmth and heat of tropics or the cool quite established gardens.
4. Logistics. How would you like to best spend your retreat time? Do you prefer peace alone or does making new friends sound awesome?
5. Expanding or going within? Do you want to challenge and stretch yourself and feel proud of your achievements and growth? Or do you want to look within, be soft, quiet, slow and gentle? They are both awesome options for very different times of life.
I believe the universe sends exactly what we need when we need it. My motto is to not overthink because I am ridiculously analytical and tend to get in my own way. Allow the signs to reveal themselves. What does your heart tell you?
Have you started on your health journey but feel a little confused and overwhelmed? Just like a health retreat here at home, Dr Rach will be hosting ‘Reset Workshops’ on Oct 19, Nov 16 and Dec 14 to help inspire and educate in a fun, interactive experience with like-minded health seekers. Workshops include an initial consultation, body composition scan, meet and greet morning tea before an interactive education session, guest contributor and physical experience (think mini yoga class, stretch, Pilates and/or meditation). You’ll get to take home a goody bag and have access to a closed Facebook group to keep connected to and support fellow workshop attendees. Bookings essential.